I laughed when I read this advice years ago but you know, it stuck with me. "Going on a date? Bring a dollar and a dime." This is from a handbook on dating do's and don'ts from the 1950's. I think the dime was to call home and the dollar was to take the bus if the date didn't work out. The thought is a good one: Be self sufficient, think ahead, and plan for the worst. And by the way, don't forget your lipstick, a mirror, and a hanky.
Need more 1950's dating advice? Here's a few goodies I found:
- A man should always ask a woman for the date.
- A man should always use heaps of flattery to woo a woman.
- Young adults must only date one person at a time.
- Ask your date out by Wednesday.
- A lady must always be on time for her date.
- A man always pays for the date.
- No kissing on the first date.
Yes, the times have changed, thank goodness. Although, I do like the heaps of flattery idea. Call me old fashioned but telling me I'm gorgeous will definitely get you a second date !